Pages

3.06.2007

I suck at life

Okay, I don't think that I suck at life. But I do suck at updating. Here's where I'm at:

I turn 26 tomorrow. I'm officially closer to 30 than I am to 20. Last year wasn't too crazy of a celebration because I'd just had my surgery a few weeks before and was still in the recovery process. This year, my parents are coming down to eat dinner at a fab Thai restaurant near my house, then I am meeting up with Miami Boy for drinks.

Speaking of Miami Boy, being Cingle in the City is fun. I also have a date on Friday with Tommy. I don't have a nickname for him yet, I can't think of one that is appropriate enough. He kind of reminds me of an exboyfriend of mine from college. They are disturbingly alike in both physical features and personality. Spooky. But Tommy seems nice and he took the initiative of setting the first date so let's see what he selects as our dinner destination and then maybe a nickname will divine itself from there. I'm also supposed to have a date with a guy I've nicknamed Double M because his first and last name both start with the letter "M". Lame, I know. Anyway, I have been a HUGE slacker about calling him and I'm not really sure why because all signs point to "Yes" with him. Eh.

In other news, I have started the count down to the following milestones:

1) The end of my car lease. Yes, the Gray Ghost 2.0 is going they way of the original Gray Ghost when I turn it in later this month. It was the first car that I bought new, and was the first car that I bought myself. So it is kind of sad to see it go away, but I'm excited about getting another new car. I'm looking at the '07 Accord and also the '07 Corolla or Camry. I would LOVE a new car, but everything is just so expensive! I don't know how I lucked out getting the car payment I did for my Civic, but those payments are NOWHERE to be found.

2) The end of my apartment lease. My landlord - painfully loud and inconsiderate as he may be, sometimes - is going to give me a couple of different options. My rent is going to go up by "$50 at most" but I won't hold my breath until I see the final offer.

3) The one-year anniversary of my employment in Cincinnati. Where I am guaranteed a raise. I hope it is a healthy one, since I am going to have to find at LEAST an extra $100 a month to pay for the car I want and my apartment, unless I want to move apartments and I really don't think I want the hassle. Plus, I loooooove the location and I looooove my place and if I stay here another year then I can finally have a reason to paint the bathroom and decorate my bedroom a little better and MAYBE even buy a painting for my living room. See, I'm just getting settled!

In other news, I went to a Borat DVD viewing party at a friend of a friend of a friend's house who is also the friend of another friend. Wow! Basically, this guy Andre is friends with my friend Megan's friend Jenny. Jenny and Megan knew him in high school. Andre also knew my friend Libby in high school and recognized me from a party that both he and I attended at Libby's house in high school. As it turns out, we also both went to the same college (Yay! Miami!) and he only lives two blocks away now. Random, right? It's a whole six-degrees of separation thing.

And finally, one quick observation before I head off to bed: I am in a really good place in my life. I love my job, I have great friends and an amazing family. I'm Little Miss Date Girl lately and things have just sort of fallen into place. And while I might not have the PERFECT life, I have made something for myself that I am proud of and that, sometimes, others envy. I'm content. And that's a pretty good way to be, now that I'm closer to 30 than I am to 20.

PS (I promise this is the last thing): I am going to get better at writing posts. I am going to write entries. I am NOT going to use this as my personal "let me catch you up on my life and what is going on with me" diary all the time, the way I have been doing the past few months. I'm going to write "real" posts and when I can't think of anything witty, insightful or charming to say, then I'll babble about my life. Though Cingle in the City updates are sure to continue.

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!

    I like being caught up on your life, just sayin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, hey, if you give me admin access to the book club blog, I can fix the comments, and maybe spice up the template a bit. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to hear that the job is finally onew in which you feel happy about, about there were rough spots inthe beginning.

    Happy B Day Lauren, remember, you are not one year older, you are one year wiser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday:) Good to hear everything is going well:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! Glad to hear things are going well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday. I've not been over here for a while. Hope things are going well! I just turned 30 this year. The 20s are hellacious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you had a great birthday!

    Dating is so much fun, don't feel guilty at all about not having time for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated, Lauren! I too, love the catch ups. I'm so happy you're finding your place. Feels good, doesn't it? Congrats, you've made it all happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wad up Lauren!!!

    "I have made something for myself that I am proud of"

    Now that's it. No one can deny that, U have made great leaps and my girl, all done by you. Most things in life don't go as you typed it...what's important is that you have made a place in this world for U.

    Love, be yourself...and the right one will come along. Stay strong sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very belated birthday greeting to you.

    I like the newsy posts but I'll read what you write no matter what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey Lauren!
    I can't believe it's been a whole year since you got your job! Seems like yesterday to me... Oh and I can't believe I didn't remember your birthday either. Just two days after my own.. So happy VERY belated birthday.
    just wanted to stop by and say hi - am still caught up in life, and haven't posted in a long time. Doesn't mean I'm not thinking of you every now and then. I like reading any of your posts Lauren.
    *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for people to know.

    ReplyDelete