Pages

6.29.2008

Summertime

When I was a kid, summertime represented freedoom. It meant spending lazy days at the pool or splashing through the sprinkler. It meant escaping to the cool darkness of a movie theater for a matinee Disney flick. As I got a little older, it meant staying up really late to finish a book, knowing I didn't have to work in the morning. It meant going to a bonfire to drink beer and make s'mores.

Summertime for adults is a much different thing. The lazy days of summer are gone, replaced by the real world and the concerns of getting it all done. Work. Errands. Maintaining friendships and starting new ones. The lazy days of summer that everyone talks about seems like a cruel joke that the universe is playing on you, a distant memory or a prize that is just out of reach.

It really sucks.

So how does one try to recapture the summer of their youth? How do we go back to feeling like summer is our reward for working hard the rest of the year?

3 comments:

  1. Are you asking how to recapture your youth, or the lazy days of summer?

    I like to put my swimsuit on and sit outside on the patio with a book. I can't sit for hours like I did when I was 12, but it's long enough for some peace, quiet and life reflection.

    As far as recapturing youth, try sitting with someone sexy, leave the book in the house and lose the swimsuit...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing it by becoming a teacher.

    Ok, in all seriousness, I feel like this summer is one of the laziest I've had in a long time. It's the first summer in years I haven't had classes, I no longer have a wedding to plan, and I work from home wed-fri basically. Just cutting down on committments makes it seem more summer-like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting outside as much as I can, going for walks and bike rides. I'm also keeping a pitcher of iced tea in my fridge, because it just isn't summer without iced tea.

    ReplyDelete