Pages

1.21.2007

Cingle in the City - Dating Diary

Sunday, January 7, 2007: Went out with teacher guy today. He was cute, but there was something missing. It ended with a "talk to you soon." Then two days later, I get an email from him saying that he has several dates that week and that he'll "get back to me." Seriously?! I'm telling you people, I am not un-dateable. Whatever. Haven't spoken to him since.

Tuesday, January 9, 2007: "Full of Himself Guy", who later became known as "Douchebag Lee", called to make sure we are still on for drinks tonight. Realizing that I was dreading meeting him, I did what any normal person would do. I cancelled. Actually, I told him that I had met someone else and wanted to see where it took me. So I cancelled and I lied. Oh well. He asked me to rate his looks on a scale of 1 to 10 based soley on a grainy picture of him in a suit from the profile that I viewed once. Who does that?! NEXT!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007: Today was my first date with "Short Guy". He suggested meeting a wine bar near my house. He likes wine! And not the crummy pink stuff out of a box, either - real wine!!! Dinner was great, as was coffee immediately after. He kissed me. It was awesome. However, I wore a conservative pair of heels and I was almost as tall as him. Sigh.

Sunday, January 14, 2007: Went out with "The Doctor", a guy I have been talking to online for a few weeks now. We had coffee and conversation for three hours. THREE HOURS! I was a little hoarse afterwards. He asked me immediately out to dinner for that night, but I already had dinner plans (with some fresh shrimp that I had bought the day before). We agreed to meet up on Wednesday for dinner.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007: Another date with "Short Guy"! This time, we went to a little holte-in-the-wall bar down on the river, overlooking the Ohio shoreline. You know the type of place, I'm talking about - blue smoke drifting from the cigarettes of the regulars hanging in the air like a veil. Conversation was good again. So was the beer.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007: I haven't heard from "The Doctor", so I thought I would give him a call. Got his voicemail. Left a message asking if we are still on for dinner tonight. Never heard back from him. Something doesn't add up. Also, the number he gave me is a Florida area code, but he claims to have lived in Cleveland before moving to Cincinnati. Hmm.

Thursday, January 18, 2007: "Miami Boy", a guy who went to school at my alma mater (Miami University) and who seems really familiar to me, asks me out for a drink on Friday evening. Unfortunately, I already have plans. We play phone tag before leaving messages for one another as to which day next week will work for our schedules.

Friday, January 19, 2007: Date #3 with "Short Guy". This time, I take him out to a steak dinner. I manage public relations for a high-end steak chain in Cincinnati, so I took him there. As a result, we get the VIP treatment and I look like a rockstar. Plus, most of our meal is comp'ed. Niiiice.

Saturday, January 20, 2007: I got two back-to-back calls from "The Doctor" today. On the second call, he left a message as follows: "Hi Lauren, it's NAME CHANGED TO PROTECT THE INNOCENT. We haven't talked in a while, I thought I'd give you a call and see what you're up to. Maybe we can get together soon." Okay, wait... we had a date planned and you stood me up. Now you're calling me like nothing happened. Are you insane? What's wrong with this picture? We'll see about that.

And so there we are. I am still active on Match.com, but I feel like between "Short Guy" and "Miami Guy" (please, God, let there be chemistry between us because he is AWESOME on paper!) I've got a pretty good thing going. Strangely, the more dates I go on, the less and less I want a boyfriend. I find that I like being single. I like dating. I like the thrill of meeting someone for the first time and seeing what happens.

Happy dating to you all!

16 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's becuase dating is FUN! I enjoy reading about all your dates because I miss that. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $10 says Dr. Guy is married or has a serious girl friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I'm thinking wife in another state

    ReplyDelete
  4. $10 says Dr. Guy is a narcisstic jerk. If he was into you, he would have called sooner - his problem, not yours.

    Enjoy being single and see what happens next! It all changes once you fall in love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing wrong with being single!

    Hey, I miss coming to your blog, and seeing you at mine. Hope things are going well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is fun to read!

    word verification doesn't work for me! I can't comment anymore! I don't have the patience to "submit" 8 times befor I can see the words. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Guy either has a girl friend or is married with a wife in another state or the basement. I'm dragging my feet on calling him back, by the way. I shall grow a pair and do it tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw your comment on my blog (lol), and realized it's ages since I updated myself on a lot of the blogs I used to read almost every day. Have been talking a LOT with someone lately, and it's taking all my spare time. I mean 3-5 hours a day online and at the weekends sometimes as much as 12 hours. It is fun though! Oh God is it fun...

    Happy dating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Dr. Guy has a boyfriend, and is just checking out the other team, so to speak.

    Nerdine is talking dirty online with somone.

    You didn't have to turn off word verif!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahaha, "Nerdine is talking dirty online" that is hilarious.

    I hadn't considered the boyfriend angle. Usually I have great gaydar and I didn't catch on to anything... though his voice does creep me out at times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. *gasp* maybe nerdine is Dr. Guy masquerading!

    kidding. hee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you are having fun... I think if you met an actual "boyfriend", you would know it and then you could take yourself off the market.

    Even though I am truly happily married, there is a part of me that longs for the single days.... enjoy them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How's going Lauren....

    Singleness is gift, don't give it up yet. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i feel like it may be time for me to stop being so afraid and check out online dating too. your post is encouraging.

    keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is an interesting journal Lauren! I haven't been in dating land for more than 20 years and it's changed!

    I hope you meet someone good for you (and you for him). You're getting good at sorting..

    ReplyDelete
  16. *lol*
    Dawn - you have a too dirty mind.
    or do you?
    *lol*

    online dating is fun. Too much fun.

    ReplyDelete