Pages

2.27.2006

Ta ta to the ta-ta's...

It has been 13 days since my breast reduction surgery and all is well. It took about 3 and a half hours. The doc removed 3 pounds of breast tissue (yes, 3 pounds), making me a nice, healty C cup when it is all said and done. Considering that losing 10 pounds was on my rotating list of New Year's Resolutions, I'm almost half way to my goal!

As it turns out, I'm allergic to morphine. And to one of the antibiotics I was on. The day after being released from the hospital, I had to go back to the Emergency Room because my body wasn't keeping anything down and was in severe distress due the antibiotic. So that was a major setback in terms of getting better.

Each day gets better though. I'm getting stronger - today I was able to go to Target with my mom and walk through some of the aisles, a major step! - and I'm able to do more things. For the first week, I pretty much was just laying on the couch and sleeping all the time. The pain medication made it hard for me to do anything else because I would get really dizzy and nauseous and sleepy.

I'm still very bruised, in fact, my whole chest and down into my ribs is covered in huge yellow and purple bruises. And I'm still quite swollen. The doc said the swelling will last between 6 weeks and 3 months. During that time, I'm confined to sports bras. I want my Victoria's Secret, now that I'm finally able to wear it!

The biggest and hardest lesson for me to learn is to be patient with my body. The body's ability to heal is amazing, but I keep feeling like it should be going faster. I want to be up and moving around, and it is discouraging and frustrating that I'm not able to be as active as I would have liked. I thought I'd be walking through my neighborhood every day by now.... unfortunately, I can barely make it to the end of the block without my legs turning to jelly. The toll that surgery took on my body surprised me, and the way that I'm affected in everything that I do. I have made the mistake of pushing myself too hard a few times, so I'm trying to learn how to take it slow.

The other huge lesson I've learned is that it is okay to depend on other people. I'm a very do-it-myself kind of girl. I like to think that I'm pretty tough. I've had to depend on others for everything, and it has been a humbling experience. I mean, for the first week after surgery, I couldn't even pour my own cereal, or get myself a glass of water, or open my shampoo bottle. I literally needed someone to help me with everything! For a "do-er" to have to sit back and let others take care of me has been difficult, but like I said, humbling. My mom has been amazing, no big surprise there. She is a hell of a lady.

Finally, I really do have the most amazing and wonderful friends and family. My house looks like a florist, I've received so many flowers!!! I've gotten tons of emails, calls and cards. My support network is awesome. They've reminded me how well-loved I am. That is the best lesson of all.

So posting will be sporadic and I'll try to see everyone while I'm online, but I'm focusing on healing and resting and taking care of myself. Thanks to everyone for your warm thoughts and well wishes!

10 comments:

  1. Yey she's back.........

    Good to hear it all went well....Good luck with the rest....3 months will put U on Summer.....woooohuuuuuuuu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kisses and cheers from Great State of Minnesota!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, dear friend!! And I can't WAIT for summer - all those cute little tops and bikinis! Much love back at ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see everything went well except for the morphine and anti-biotic.

    I can't imagine what it would be like to be dependant on someone for everything, as I am a DIY person as well. Wow, interesting experience.

    Welcome back and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad everything went well (except for your reactions to medication of course).

    Take it easy and recover.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad the surgery turned out well. I have been thinking of you, sending positive thoughts the last few weeks.
    It's nice to be remnded of all your good friends. Remember - you have some out here too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so glad your surgery went well! hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "3 pounds of breast tissue"

    ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rocket - It sucks.

    Ann - Thank you for your kind words.

    Nerdine - The world gets so busy, and life gets so quick, that we sometimes forget what fine friends we have. It sort of sucks having to be reminded of them at all, but I find that my friends (both in life and in blogland) are the best of people.

    Joey - I'm trying

    CD - Ouch indeed. It is hard being a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah... yeah, wondered about your surgery. Glad it seemed to have went well... Before and After pics?

    Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete