Pages

8.24.2006

Life is a Cirque

I went to a preview performance of Cirque du Soleil's "Quidam" show in Cincinnati last night (free tickets - perk of the job!) and let me just say: It. Was. A.maz.ing.

I do not know much about the story line, frankly, because I didn't bother researching it too much before going to the performance. I have my own theories about the basic plot, but honestly, the plot comes second to the action.

As with any circus, Cirque du Soleil is a flurry of activity. A spotlight highlights the key performer in every scene, but there is always some other performer located on another part of the stage. For example, in a scene where a woman was hanging from the ceiling on a rope, a dancer is in the background doing a series of dizzying pirouettes and another dancer is slinking about the stage like an elephant.

The show is by turns touching, funny and death-defying. The positions that the performers move their bodies into, the strength that it must take to control their bodies. And the sheer flexibility! Oh my gosh! A.maz.ing.

Regarding the Virtual Book Club: Dawn has suggested a new selection since I've been lazy. And the winner is... Single Wife by Nina Solomon. I'll post something on the VBC site later today - I added a link in my menu for all of you who have decided to join us in our little foray into virtual social networking.

6 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to see a Cirque de Soleil-show! I've seen a documentary about them and what I saw was amazing. I got the whole "go-to-the-circus-and-see-amazing-things" feeling from my childhood all over again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did i miss this virtual book club? Is membership closed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. cirque de soleil is awesome. i would highly recommend zumanity if anyone gets out to vegas and wants to see a good show. it's 18+, totally risque. my friend & i loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cirque is unbelievably amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bri, the link is broken, or the blog is gone. lauren will have to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they were in nyc this summer. I was SOOOO upset that i missed it!

    ReplyDelete