Pages

8.31.2006

Bad Lauren...

... has not updated in a while. I fixed the link to the Virtual Book Club over on the right of this page. You can also take a peek at the site (which is now updated, thank you very much) by clicking here. Our next book is "Single Wife" by Nina Soloman. A review is posted on the Virtual Book Club blog.

My Cincinnati 101 class has wrapped up. This week we took a visit to the Skirball Museum at the Hebrew Union College, which is the epicenter of reform Judaism in the United States. Well, it started in Cincinnati, at least. There are also Hebrew Union Colleges in NYC and L.A.

In the rare book room at the college (which smelled deliciously of old books, a smell that any book lover relishes) they have some of the oldest texts ever created. Books that are hundreds, even a thousand years old. They've got one of the oldest Bible's ever created. They've got Chinese texts that date back to teh 1660s. It's amazing.

Although I was hoping to meet a few people through this experience, I was not successful. Actually, I did meet one girl but she didn't show up for either of the last two classes, so she was a bust. It was an interesting class, however, and I learned a lot about Cincinnati. I enjoyed playing tourist in my new city and will probably do so on my own - or at the very least, sign up for Cincinnati 102 if they develop a class for that. Nerdine has started her own version of this class with some friends. I seriously would encourage everyone to do it: It's fun, it gets you out of the house, it's a good learning experience AND you never know what little treasures might turn up.

11 comments:

  1. You should come and do a Minneapolis 101 with Rocket and I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rare book room sounds wonderful! That's cool that your city has classes like that. I hope that you get to meet some cool people soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know about the book smell!! I used to work in a library, and that's actually one of the things I miss the most... The smell. Most people think I'm completely off the rocker when I tell them that... Good to know there are others who like that smell!!

    I'm really looking forward to the first meeting in my little club. And I look forward to sharing it with all of you!! I even got a permission from my friends to post pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wad up!

    Brian, why only U and Rocket?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, if you come do a Minneapolis 101, there are a couple things you should know:

    1. It's not safe to stay with Briañ, you can stay here. I won't charge you rent, or sex. I can't say the same of Briañ.

    2. St. Paul is miles better than Minneapolis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a tourist in your own city is a wonderful idea. I did the whole tourist thing when I first moved here to NYC, and it was one of the smarter things that I've done up here. It gave me an opportunity to really learn about the ins and outs of the city and all while having fun while doing so!

    Oh, I so have a book smell fetish. It truly is a delicious smell!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to hear you again Lauren. Enjoy your explorations - inner and outer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummm...book smells...I'm writing to Yankee Candle to request that they make an Ink and Paper candle.

    I would love to do a Watertown 101. But the only place of interest here is the local McDonald's.

    Hope the job is going better!
    ~Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brian - I think Dawn brings up a fine point about not charging sex as rent.

    Dawn - Although given my current lack of sex, maybe staying with Brian is a good idea...

    Either way, a Minneapolis/St. Paul 101 sounds like fun. I've only been to that area once, and my memories mostly consist of the Mall of America.

    Fellow old book smell lovers - I'm glad to hear that others share the love of the scent of old, musty pages!

    Dem - Welcome back, friend!

    Gary - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big Ups to Brian.

    You know, a lot of you folks take cheap shots (mostly in gest I understand) at Bizzio, but that dude is solid.

    So here is to you Bixzzio, don't ever question the "intersting" you add to our mundane lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rocket,

    all of my cheap shots at briañ are in jest. (not gest, which I can only imagine is a reference to a gestational period) I love the dude.

    ReplyDelete