Pages

8.13.2006

Step off, kid!!!!

My mom came down today for a little visit. We went to lunch and then to the Cincinnati History Museum. As we were walking from the ticket booth to the museum entrance, we we had to walk through a crowd of people.

There was a little boy in the crowd - three, maybe three and a half years old. As I walked toward him, I saw him lock eyes with me. He took a step, firmed up his stance... then took a swing at me with a "pfffou" noise escaping his all-too-innocent looking mouth.

I. Kid. You. Not.

I was accosted by a three year old.

Okay, well not quite accosted. At some point when he was winding up, it crossed my mind exactly what this kid was about to do, so I was able to step out of the way. And then I said, "Hey! Let's not do that!" in my most grown-up and authoritative voice. I believe I even shook a finger at him. (The kid ignored me.)

Now, I ask you: Where were the parents in all this? Because I certainly didn't see any apologetic mothers or fathers rush over as their kid tried to clock me. Nor did I see any concerned mothers or fathers even glance in my direction as I chastised him and went on my way.

As bizarre as it was, my mom and I had quite a laugh over the fact that a three-year-old tried to beat me up. But I'm telling you one thing: That kid better watch out. The next time he takes a swing at me, I'm going to grab his fist and give him a little shake. That'll show him to mess with me.

12 comments:

  1. I often wonder about the parents of kids like this. So many times I go shopping and see little kids running around with no parents in sight. Now I know why my sister and I always stayed with Grandma whenever Mom went out to run errands when we were that age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding! I could have snatched that kid and taken off and the parents wouldn't have even known. Not that I'd want some violent three year old hanging out at my house, but still.

    I find myself feeling sorry for the parents of kids who are crying, because it's not always their fault that the kid is throwing a tantrum. But kids who are running all over the place I try to avoid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's bizzarre! Ridiculous isn't even the right word for it!

    Hey, about that virtual book club? I'd love to get a second book going? I know you're short on time, send me an email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read this post multiple times and I wonder sometimes what some parents think. Then I read this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14136994/?GT1=8404 which gives a different perspective; maybe kids haven't changed as much as our expectations and idea of what kids should be.

    I like to think that my children were more respectful and obedient than the current crop, but maybe I'm only remembering those tykes that don't behave rather than the majority who do.

    When I fall into a rational state of mind, I realize that there's a distinct possibility that the good old days were not as good as I remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We require people to get a license to drive, but not have children. We need to fix that some how.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn - I'm ready for a new book!!! I hate to admit it, but I've been lazy rather than short on time (at least until recently). I'll email you soon or post something here.

    Russel - I read the article you linked and I agree with a couple of points. First, children look to their parents and pattern their own behavior after the example their given. Secondly, children should be allowed to be children. But there is a time, place and WAY to let kids be kids. For example, I'm not going to go to Chuck E. Cheese and complain that kids are running around all over the place. But when a kid at a museum - even a museum that is gearned towards children - is swinging punches and completely disregarded by his/her parents, that is just plain ol' bad parenting.

    Rocket - Gee, why don't we just reinstate government-mandated sterilization while we're at it, or force pregnant families to wear stars on their chests to show that they've been given "permission" to have kids. Come on, that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. How would you, a huge proponent of personal liberties, feel if you were asked to get a parenting license?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is why I am a huge fan of big wooden spoons

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. brian - elaborate, please. i was disciplined on occasion with the wooden spoon and i am wondering if that is what you were also alluding to.

    2. i think we all know the liklihood of seeing rocket's scenario come to life is ZERO, but c'mon. who hasn't had that thought before? there are far too many unqualified people out there procreating.

    3. dawn - tell lauren about the lady who named her baby crack. job security, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *was also disciplined with the wooden spoon on occasion*

    I seriously do think sometimes that the gene pool needs a lifeguard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lauren, come on girl, you had to know that was tongue and cheek.

    And I am all for the star and sterilization, hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lauren, we have a client who named her baby cocaine. Pretty sure the kids called crack for short.

    Re: VBC, I was thinking the Single Wife, because Carly sent the book to me, and then i don't have to buy/get one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Lauren,

    I just wanted to stop by and say hi. After a two month absence, I am finally back to blogging. I have missed it so.

    You did the right thing with that kid. Kids today are terrible. I have friends, former public school teachers, who would never go back to teaching in grade school because the kids are so bad. I don't think today's parents "parent" their kids and that is part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete