Pages

1.27.2009

Colorado Recap

Since today is a cold, snowy, sleety, bummy afternoon, I thought now would be the perfect time to recap my recent trip to Colorado. So here goes... Colorado lived up to its billing as a beautiful, crunchy granola wonderland of outdoor sports, hippies and snow. I arrived to a beautiful, sunny day that topped out in the 60s. Gorgeous weather. In fact, the weather was beautiful the entire weekend, which definitely upped the enjoyment factor.

One of the neat things my girlfriends and I did was take the Ski Train into Winter Park. The winding, two-and-a-half hour ride took us up through the mountains to the ski resort. Towards the end of the trip, you go through the MoffatTunnel and then BAM! You're surrounded by tons of snow. I think there were 54 inches the weekend of my trip.

My friend Lori and I did some downhill snowshoeing, which was a really cool experience that I doubt I would have had otherwise. We learned about the local flora and fauna from our experienced guide, Forest (isn't that just perfect?!) and enjoyed a two-mile trek. At the end, Forest taught us how to shimmy and slide down a steep, 50 yard hill. It was cool.

Here are some of my favorite photos from the weekend. Overall, Colorado treated me well and I'd love to go back!


A view of Denver from the Ski Train, heading into the mountains towards Winter Park.

Trees and snow on the side of the mountain. The tree is red because it is actually sunburned on its South-facing side. Did you know trees could get sunburned once they die and lose their spongy, wet outermost layer? Yeah, me either...

My teeny, tiny, child-sized feet in my gigantic snowshoes.



This is a cabin with lots of snow on it. Duh. The porch should give you an idea of the depth of snow.

Hello from base camp! Only 9,000 feet above sea level, no biggie.



All aboard the Ski Train!!

5 comments:

  1. It was great weather for sure. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay denver! glad you enjoyed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason, I feel strangely attracted to the last pic. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. prettier than our snowy bummy afternoon.

    ReplyDelete