Pages

12.10.2005

Where do your dreams go?

Where do your dreams go when you're done dreaming them?

I ask this because I've been trying to remember lately why I chose my profession. Don't get me wrong - I love being in public relations, and I'm very, very good at what I do. I declared my major in college and never looked back. I absolutely made the right career choice, one that I've never regretted. In the grand scheme of things, I'm probably pretty lucky to actually be doing (and liking) what I set out to do in the first place.

But that's not what I wanted to be when I was a child. The life that I have created for myself wasn't a childhood dream. Actually, when I was a kid, I wanted to be an entertainer. I wanted to be an actress, a singer, a fashion icon. I wanted to be rich and famous. At what point did I stop dreaming about being all of those things? At what point did I succum to reality and decide to be something more practical?

I sometimes wish that I had followed that dream. I was in drama club in high school, was in the school's talent show...I even wanted to go to Los Angeles the summer between my senior year in h.s. and freshman year in college to try to "make it." Looking back, what could I have accomplished in three months, really?

But I never followed through on that dream. I'm too practical for that. When it comes to my livelihood and well-being, I'm not a risk taker. I need to know where I'm going to live, where my next paycheck is coming from, etc. So even though picking up and moving to a basement apartment in Venice Beach sounded exciting (and still does, I have to admit) I could never actually bring myself to do it.

That's the same reason I didn't move to Chicago right after graduating from college, even though it is a city where I've always wanted to live. I had just graduated, didn't have a job, didn't have a roommate, didn't have a place to live...it seemed like the list of what I didn't have and couldn't count on was too long to even consider. So I opted for practicality and moved back home with my parents.

And I'm still there today.

So I look back and I wonder whether I made the right decisions. I look back on the dreams that I had for myself, and I'm not really sure when or how I decided they couldn't come true. And I wonder: Can we ever really be sure of the path that we create for ourselves?

Question: What did you want to be when you grew up?

5 comments:

  1. I want to be fat, just like santa.......

    Both in high school and in junior high I thought and was considered to be high prospect for future soccer in this nation......my high school year book even declared me as "US Captain in waiting".....One problem my high school wasn't that good, though it was one of the best academic schools in the nation, and some how I lost the passion for the game, and this was start for me of different direction of my life.......To make it short, in my senior year I rejected 3 division three schools to play soccer, and never recieved word from any division one schools which I really wanted.....So I went for academic and on to the IT department at the UofM which has no men's soccer team...TITLE 9...I have no regrets at all, and as U said, it was dream, may be I wasn't that good enough or I didn't try it harder.......

    I don't think we can ever be sure the path we will take....I never dreamt that I will ever live in MN...most of my life lived in Europe and in Africa..where my family moved back and forth..Some times the path we create isn't what God meant for us......We can work hard to achieve it, but if it ain't meant for us.....we will never have it.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dem, I love it when you post to my blog. You are so intelligent and your comments are very much appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HAVE REOCCURRING DREAMS... THEY ARE SO CREEPY!!!
    I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A PAROLE OFFICER BUT NEVER WENT THREW FOR IT... I WILL ALWAYS REGRET THAT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete