Pages

6.04.2006

Cleaning house, then a real post

Hi everyone! Thanks for your patience and continued visits to my blog as I've been a little behind on posting recently. Between the move, getting increasingly busy at work, and my youngest brother's graduation from high school (and related family commitments) things have been INSANE for me. But I'm officially back with the promise to do a better job moving forward!

Here are some general notes:

1) For those reading The Five People You Meet In Heaven as part of the virtual book club, I've posted a brief synopsis and some starter discussion questions on the site and will update it a couple of times throughout the coming week. I hope you all enjoyed the book (which wasn't so much about religion or heaven as it was about learning and recognizing the importance of the lessons your life can teach you).

2) Following is a post that I've been working on for a while. I'm excited to get your feedback.

So without further ado, I bring to you:

The Anatomy Of A Mean Girl
(Parenthetical subtitle: Decoding Bitchy Girl Behavior, Part I)

Lindsay Lohan is living every high school girl's worst nightmare right now. Taking a page from LiLo's own "Mean Girls" movie, Paris and Brandon proved that, even in adulthood, the "cool" kids are still catty.

I'm not sure if you saw this story a few weeks ago or not. While out on the Tinseltown, Brandon - backed by BFF Paris - berated Lindsay in front of the assembled paparazzi. He disdainfully referred to Lindsay's genitalia ("fire crotch" is one of the more PG-13 terms he used); her "bomb" of a movie "Just My Luck" and her "pathetic" $7 mil-per-picture salary. Paris giggled and whispered in Brandon's ear during his tirade, seemingly egging him on.

This is interesting on a few notes, not the least of which are the facts that:
a) Brandon Davis (yes, I know, who?!) and Paris Hilton are only famous because of who their fathers are and the fact that they party 7 days a week. They aren't famous because of their contributions to society, their accomplishments or by virtue of their own merits.
b) I'm not sure if Brandon Davis has ever been in a film, but I'm pretty sure Paris' own "House of Wax" wasn't exactly a box office smash hit. Oh wait, she did have the straight-to-video "One Night In Paris" courtesy of her exboyfriend. I heard that did pretty well at the video story. Kudos, Ms. Hilton.
c) Bradon's assertion that Lindsay's salary per movie basically makes her poor is living off his oil tycoon father's dime. If Daddy were to cut him off, I wonder what his net worth would tally in at, given that his personal source of income seems to be limited to appearances at parties. As for Paris, she at least has a perfume and line of dog accessories.

Regardless of a lack of reason (other than stunted maturity and poor, spoiled upbringing), these two mean girls fulfill for Lindsay Lohan what every teenage girl dreads: Picked on, cast out from the clique, talked about in the bathroom and snickered at in the lunch line. As Paris and Brandon proved, the insecurities that teenage girls feel can often follow you into adulthood as well.

But why?

I have been thinking about this phenomenon a lot lately... why some women need to attack other women in order to assert their own authority. Is this because they truly are "better" than the other girl (and if so, who or what makes that distinction)? Or is it something else? My guy friends have often asked why we, as women, behave the way we do. Most of the time, we girls are just as confused as you men are.

So over the next few days, I will post my various theories on this behavior, with the disclaimer that I'm not a professional and have no evidence to support my claims other than what I've experienced in my own life. Feel free to weigh in with your own theories or call me out on mine as needed.

12 comments:

  1. I can't understand why women behave that way (or why anyone does). I'll be watching for your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read them.

    I'm not a Lindsay Lohan fan, but given the choice between her or Paris Hilton, I would choose Lindsay. At least she has talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granny - Frankly, neither can I, but in observing people and trying to understand their motivations, I do think I'm coming closer.

    Rachel - I am not a Lindsay Lohan fan either... but watching the video that I linked my post to, I was overwhelmed with sympathy for her. And you're right, she does have some talent, whereas Paris is an insipid twit leeching off of her parents' fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm eager to hear what you come up with. Having raised sons and a daughter, I am quite confused about the difference. The boys were "in your face" and obvious in their intentions. The girl, on the other hand, required emotional skills that I didn't know existed. I would love to get a little "inside" information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NEW POSTS! But im sure your own life if more important

    if I were Lindsay Lohan (god willing some day...) then i would go beserk on all the Hollywood 'cliqe' and wipe them off the face of the planet. We dont need them. Well we dont need MOST of them for much, except oggling and gazing. Basically a big Hollywood cull is in order. Perhaps a new McCarthy witch hunt for the worst of the 'best' starting with the uber-skank/ho/bitch/slut/whatever Paris. She must die! I alone am best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Russel - We girls are complicated beings. Or we make ourselves out to be. In real life, I'm pathetically easy to understand!

    RBC - Um, I'm not sure about the destruction of Hollywood in general, though I could definitely tolerate less Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lauren,
    An interesting read...looking forward to the next..

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have to admit i like lindsay lohan. not her, per se, but i think she's pretty and i like her style. i couldn't believe how mean-spirited and vulgar brandon davis was. it was disgusting. great topic, and am anxious to read your forthcoming opinions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abhay - Your male perspective will be much appreciated as we continue this theoretical journey!

    Joey - I'm with you - I think she's a little bratty, but I felt sympathy for her in her present situation. Regardless of how much you may dislike a person's actions, behavior, personality, etc. NO ONE deserves to be treated that way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Playing devil's advocate...

    "whereas Paris is an insipid twit leeching off of her parents' fortune"

    ...not considered a woman's catty shot at another woman?

    I'm not thinking of this is a celebrity way, in terms of who I like or dislike, but I'm basing my thoughts on my experiences in life. I do agree that women can be catty, but I've seen men just as underhanded and mean. I like this idea and I'm anxious to see where you go with this, but to be honest, I'll be looking at it as people as opposed to women. I think that everyone does it, to a degree and men just have different (possibly more subtle?) ways of excluding unwanted peers. My two cents...

    (I didn't watch that video or click on that link. Any kind of behaviour running along those lines really gets to me and I just can't take it.)

    Off to read installment two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heard that story, and it disgusted me. Paris Hilton generally makes me sick, and to know that she takes part in insulting and calling down another human being just de-elevates (my own made-up word!) my already low opinion of her.

    ReplyDelete