Pages

9.09.2007

Comeback?

The much-touted comeback of Britney Spears fell a little flat during this evening's MTV Video Music Awards show in Las Vegas. Although I like the song (Gimme More, check it here...) I won't be lining up to buy tickets to her next concert. Was it just me, or did she seem a little confused and out of it at the beginning? Oh, and did you notice that she didn't even bother to lip-sync the entire song?! She's never been much of a "performer" when it comes to singing live, but she's always been able to fall back on her dancing. But even the dancing seemed half-hearted, like she was dancing in a pool of syrup instead of on a huge, huge stage. And (y'all know I'm a girl and gotta get my catty in...) she was not skinny enough to pull of the hot pants and bikini top. She's got a better body than I do, but not a good enough body to pull that off.

Update: Chris Brown's dance was out of control. Amazing.

Update: Justin Timberlake chided MTV for not showing enough music videos. He accepted his award from Lauren, Audrina and Whitney from "The Hills," an MTV reality show. Does anyone else see the irony in that?

Update: How cute was Miss Teen South Carolina making fun of herself?! Such as...

So, that's where I stand on Britney's big Hollywood comeback. Whew! Glad I got that out.

This post also marks my comeback. A lot has happened in the past few months, and you can chalk it up to a lot of stress at work, dating, life in general and a lack of anything substantial to say. To sum it all up for you, life has sucked lately. So forgive my lack of updating.

Work-wise, things have been beyond sTreSSfuL as I try to decide if this is a company that I really want to work for... and a city that I really want to live in. I have stopped looking forward going to work lately, and I think it has become obvious to the people that I work for that I am starting to just NOT CARE about the work that I do there. BAD LAUREN!

Dating-wise, Potential Boy and I decided to just date one another, but then the initial attraction began to fade as we got past the "getting to know you" phase and got into the "this is who I really am, can you deal with it" phase. The answer, at least for me, was "no." Seeing him started to feel like a chore... when that happens, it is time to split. We would haven't ended eventually anyway, as he wants to move to Seattle.

Life-wise, I have been very close to having a mental breakdown over the past few months. In fact, I've had multiple bouts of stuffy-nosed, red-faced, hysterical, hiccuppy, heaving, out-of-the-blue crying. It brings both myself and my mother back to my freshman year in college when I wanted to come home every weekend, which has basically been the case these last few months. Every time I see my family (and subsequently leave them) I cry most of the way back to Cincinnati. I don't have the friend base here in Cincinnati that I thought I'd have after a year of making a life here. I don't have any family to lean on or grab dinner with when I get down. I just come back to my apartment and feel sorry for myself.

So, my options as I look at the next few months involve everything from staying put and looking for a new job and hoping that it gives me the kick in the pants that I need to improve other areas of my life; looking for a new job in a new town where I do have family (either in back in Dayton or in Columbus, where my littlest bro goes to OSU, my dad works for OSU and my other bro now lives permanently); sticking it out at this current job until my lease is up on my apartment in May of '08 and hoping things improve; or giving it all up and crawling home to lick my wounds. And while I have always been one who enjoys feeling sorry for herself occasionally, it's never for long. I'm not a wallowing-in-self-pity-for-more-than-one-day kinda girl.

And, even though intellectually I know this isn't the case, making the Mary Tyler Moore decision to move to the big city and live the big girl life, only to call it quits a year later seems like such a failure. Like, "good job, you tried hard but you just can't hack it so pack up and go on back home." I know that moving to a new city to start a new job and living on my own for the first time and doing it all without knowing more than two people when moving to said city was a big, risky step that not a lot of people would have taken. But leaving seems like giving up. However, it may just be what I need to do for myself and my mental health.

Oh, and also? My Mr. Big is getting married. Yay.

That's pretty much my story, what's up with you?

9 comments:

  1. yay, you're back! and you hacked on britney. double yay! :)

    seriously though, sorry to hear things are tough right now. sounds like you could use a big hug.

    you are right on in knowing that you took a big step. you should be proud of yourself for giving it a go. going home isn't an admission of failure. it's just another step in finding what you want to do with your life.

    ok, ok. i'm going to end the "advice" portion of the program. i was glad to see you were back, but then immediately bummed to read the reason for the hiatus.

    take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, wondering what happened to you.

    I say, you keep going, keep kicking ass and taking names. In the end you will be better and stronger for it.

    Difficulty in life breeds experience, breeds wisdom and forces us to make strides forward or backwards but only for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LAUREN!!! Hooray! *adds Lauren back to links*

    Your comeback was much more enjoyable than Britney's, so I hear not having watched it myself.

    Perhaps your Mary Tyler Moore decision was made for the wrong city? She did move to Minneapolis, I'm jsut sayin :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say you move to minneapolis marry me and we live a roboust life together...how does that sound? I am glad to hear from you I miss your wonderful insights and touches on the world:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back!

    I agree with what Sarah said. If you move back, you aren't a failure, you just found out that Cincinnati wasn't right for you.

    I also agree with Dawn. Minneapolis is a fun town, and you already "know" people here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wad up Lauren...

    Keep your head up sis and brian has good suggestion...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all of your insights and positive comments, guys. It is funny how people who don't know the physical you can know the intellectual you well enough to know just what to say. :)

    Also, Brian? If you keep proposing to me I may one day accept and then you will be in for the surprise of your life. (Whether that surprise is pleasant is, at this moment, up for debate.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be pleasant let me know ahead of time though so I can get back in shape;)

    ReplyDelete