Pages

9.11.2008

Interesting little experiment

I tend to steal things from other blogs that I like. The other day, I stole a survey from Sarah's blog and posted my own answers over on Cingle in the City. Today, I'm stealing from Scaramouche Jones' blog.

Aaaaanyway, 'Mouche has a post up about his surname and the various countries around the world in which other 'Mouches live. It is an interesting little experiment and I did it for myself.

Alls you do is type your surname into this little search engine and it will pop up all the countries where other people with your surname live. You can break it down by region of that country, too. For example, there is a large population of people with my surname living in Texas... where I have lots and lots of first cousins, so go figure.

You can check out the Web site here: http://www.publicprofiler.org/worldnames/

Here's where I live, in order of surname population density:

Ireland
Australia
Canada
UK
New Zealand
US
Luxembourg
Switzerland
Argentina
Spain (Ole!)

6 comments:

  1. I still think it's more than a coincidence that everyone seems to have most people living in Ireland :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably cuz Ireland is the bomb. Just sayin'.

    I've never been, but it is in my list of top three future vacation destinations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great website, Lauren. Here's what I came up with: New Zealand, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Germany. I wouldn't mind living in any of the first four.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used my mothers maiden name as that would be more representative for me. Here is what I got:

    Country
    BELGIUM 24.51
    LUXEMBOURG 17
    FRANCE 3.65
    SWITZERLAND 1.92
    UNITED STATES 0.08

    ReplyDelete
  5. My last name only seems to exist in the US and Germany. My mom's maiden name can be found in Germany, United States, Switzerland, Spain and Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The nordic countries surprised me. I would have guessed UK first.
    AUSTRALIA
    UNITED KINGDOM
    NEW ZEALAND
    UNITED STATEs
    IRELAND
    CANADA
    NORWAY
    DENMARK
    NETHERLANDs
    SWEDEN

    ReplyDelete