Pages

1.30.2006

Life alteration countdown: 2 weeks

I went to my surgeon today for my pre-operative appointment. This breast reduction surgery is scary stuff. The visit reassured me, even as it made me more anxious for the day to arrive.

First of all, I'll be asleep for three and a half hours while the surgery takes place. During this time, I'll have a catheter in my vagina so that I can pee. Okay, a tube to pee through doesn't sound like very much fun to me. Kind of painful, really. And gross. Plus, I can barely pee in my own home with the bathroom door open, even if no one is around...how am I going to be able to deal with it dripping into a bag at my bedside?! Embarassing, to say the least. And did I mention painful?

Was that too graphic and sudden for you, dear readers? I'm sorry. Do continue reading.

I'll be out of work for four weeks. The doctor is pretty sure I'll be ready to go in by then, and I might be able to do some light computer work prior to going back in the office. But he says I probably won't feel like it. I'm going to have to find a hobby that doesn't use my arms or torso. Maybe I'll take up biking.

So I guess I'm a little scared. It would be unnatural for me not to be scared, I think. This is major surgery. Asleep, some blood loss, can't-bathe-on-my-own, morphine drip major surgery. So I'm trying to think more about the end results than the in-between time.

My life is going to alter pretty drastically after this surgery. I can't wait. I could do without the catheter, though. I'm sure you understand.

9 comments:

  1. Yeah I do...U will be flashing alot!.....no kidding.....Good luck with the surgery....Don't worry about them seeing pee, they see sh*t worse than that daily....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catheters aren't fun - for men either!

    I wish you well with the surgery Lauren. Make sure you rest properly afterwards. You're brave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with your surgery and thanks for stopping by my blog. i have a different problem. i wish my chest was bigger, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This experience I do not envy, although I'd like to do the same myself. I'm tired of the back-aches...
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck to u girl... Don't make the tatas too small... Save some na mean. You'll be okay... Atleast u ain't got R Kelly peeing on you. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Curious1, As usual. . .

    and more importantly, we expect a constant update!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big chicken when it comes to surgery and stuff. I do wish you much luck and much strength to recover quickly.

    I'll be thinking of you.

    Hugs,

    Nova

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone, for your support. The kindness of strangers is humbling. And don't worry, boys, the tatas will still be a nice healthy size, just not big enough to topple me over anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm gonna add your blog to my link list, if that's okay. i really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete