Pages

1.07.2006

Savoring the simple pleasures

I ate a Ferrero Rocher chocolate today.

My teeth sunk into the crisp outer shell of chocolate and hazelnut bits. As I bit deeper, I tasted the smooth inner ring of chocolate melting in my mouth. Then finally, the crunch of the hazelnut hidden deep inside.

As the nuts and the chocolate swam on my tongue, I was reminded of how important it is to savor the simple pleasures in life. It can be easy to overlook the enjoyment that can be found in eating a piece of chocolate...or any simple task that brings joy to your life. The big moments tend to define ourselves and our lives, but the smaller, simple moments are what make life special.

Tip of the day: Eat a piece of chocolate - or any food or beverage that you enjoy - and think about just how much you enjoy it. Take a moment to savor the tastes and textures in your mouth. And remember to savor the simple pleasures in life.

2 comments:

  1. Great tip! I said recently, with great passion, "If I couldn't enjoy good coffee, wine, whisky and cheese - my life would be wasted!"

    Okay, maybe I'd had too much of the 2nd and 3rd items at that point - but I do think it's the little pleasures that bring contentment.

    A walk, a good night's sleep, sunshine, laughter, a hot bath...maybe these aren't self- realization or world peace, but great anyhow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's not forget an unexpected compliment, seeing the stars and the moon, a snuggly blanket, a rainbow and (dare I say it?!) raindrops on roses... :)

    ReplyDelete