Pages

3.13.2006

Cowardice

Cow·ard·ice (noun): Ignoble fear in the face of danger or pain. The trait of lacking courage.

What does it mean to be a coward? Each person will have a different definition. To me, a coward is someone who doesn't know how to pick on someone his own size. A coward kicks a puppy. A coward steals a purse from an old lady. A coward calls people names when he knows they can't - or won't - retaliate.

I was forced to consider cowardice in all its forms recently. I'll share with you a story that has my Irish temper aflame - and my family loyalty bursting at the seams:

My youngest brother is a senior in highschool. He is a super good guy: Doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, doesn't do drugs. It doesn't interest him, and he doesn't buy in to all that peer pressure shit. He has a very strong sense of self and a very strong moral compass.

When one of his friends - I'll call him Jethro because I'm feeling spiteful - turned 18, he received a "magnanimous gesture" gift - his father offered to drive Jethro and 4 or 5 of his friends to Florida for Spring Break. Of course, the father asked Jethro to ask one of his friends who has a condo in Florida, so that they could stay there for free.

So Jethro asked my brother and 4 other friends to go on Spring Break with him. My parents weren't thrilled. Partially because Jethro is an immature ass clown and is really annoying after about, oh, 10 minutes. Partially because Jethro's dad is an irresponsible ass clown, the type of guy who'd buy the kids a case of beer and advise them to have unprotected sex with as many girls as possible while playing with guns.

My brother, with his strong sense of self and strong moral compass, wasn't particularly hyped up on going, either. He knows Jethro is an ass clow, and he doesn't like Jethro's dad. He turned down Jethro's offer; wisely, he blamed it all on our parents. "My mom and dad don't really want me to go on Spring Break," he said. "I'm bummed, but what can you do?" (Editor's Aside: Interestingly enough, all but one of the other kid's parents also said they couldn't go (including the one with the condo - DAMN!). Jethro's dad has a bit of a reputation, you see. As does Jethro.)

My brother and two friends went over to Jethro's house this weekend - the four of them are in a band and they needed to practice. Imagine my brother's surprise when Jethro's dad said, "So I heard you're not going on Spring Break. Sissy." He called my brother a sissy twice more throughout the course of the day, with no provocation and incredibly, no reason. And my brother, sweet 18 year old boy that he is, was so taken aback that the father of a friend, an adult, would call him a sissy - not once, not twice but three times! - that he couldn't even form a response.

Seriously? No, SERIOUSLY?! I mean, how fucked up is that?! And how insulting, how embarassing, to be called a sissy in front of all of your friends, to be defenseless against it and surprised into shocked silence because it comes from an adult. This man's behavior - perhaps even his ability to be a parent - is appalling. (Editor's Aside: And I mean really, who uses the word sissy nowadays anyway?)

My mother and I traded looks. Then we traded insults. And comebacks. And "I'll kick his ass"es. Later, when my brother had gone, we did it again. And again later that evening. And tonight at dinner. My brother doesn't want my mom to say anything. My mom doesn't know how she can't.

Cowardice: The trait of lacking courage. But also, the trait of lacking dignity, morality or any sense of decency. The inability to pick on someone your own size.

11 comments:

  1. I am no longer surprised at the depth of ignorance and ineptness of people/parents.

    This moron is obviously not fit to be an adult let alone a parent.

    It is stories like this one that make me seriously start thinking that we should sterilize everyone, then hand out licenses to procreate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for him turning it down. Does he want your mom to pitch in? Sometimes it just makes a bad situation worse but I sure don't know the whole story.

    Unfortunately, the good kids run into that a lot. My Rochelle has had a little of it and she's only eleven. She stands her ground though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocketstar - I'm with you there!

    Granny - He wants my mom to stay out of it... I guess he figures he only has a few more weeks of school and he doesn't want to take the risk of being alienated because of one shithead kid and his dad. Bummer, though. I'm thinking after graduation she'll bring down the thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I suppose one opposite of cowardice is courage. I commend your brothers attitude and action in that respect.

    By the way, why haven't I put a link to your site on my blog yet? Me bad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I really like your brother... It takes real character to stand up like that. Admirable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zee - Thanks. He has figured out what he is going to say if Jethro's daddy calls him a sissy again.

    Nerdine - I really like my brother, too. Even though there is a 6 year age difference, we are very close and I love him a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your brother sounds like a great young man, who will not be burdened in the long run by Jethro and Jed's ignorant behaviour (with all respect to The Beverly Hillbillies, who had kind hearts).

    I have an 18 year old son and at that age, I'd let him make the call on whether a parent intervenes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is absolutely upsetting.
    As I've said before -- adults (good or bad) are what mold us into being great or bad people.

    Tell your brother that sometimes it's great to be nice, and respectable. But other times, so people don't take advantage of us (i.e., Jethro's Dad), we have to step outside of ourselves and put people in their place by telling them how inappropriate they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Bougie Boy (as always). Your brother is a bright young man who really needs to call that ass clown on his inappropriate behavior.

    Unfortunately, many people should never have children. In addition to licenses, I think a person should have to take parenting classes, work with children and participate in counseling before they are given the right to be parents. Heck, that is what parents who are adopting have to do! Why should exceptions be made just because two people have sex?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came across your blog from Ruben's. I can't believe I've now come across 2 blogs from Dayton. I swear, when I lived there, I didn't meet anyone remotely fun. Now it seems I've now read 2 blogs from great people.

    As to your brother's dilema, in a way it's a blessing that this idiot father came out like that. It's amazing the level to which some idiots will stoop to make others feel somehow wrong or inferior. You've got to wonder what type of parenting skills this guy has.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your brother needs to kick the sh*t out of that guy...

    Nice to see your doing great after the surgery......

    ReplyDelete