Pages

3.22.2006

Making a mistake?

I emailed the agency in Cleveland yesterday and told them that I've received an offer from the agency in Cincinnati that I'm planning to accept. I wanted to let them know they should focus their attention on another candidate, because this offer is just too good to pass up.

They called me just now and tried to talk me out of it. I told them: The opportunity to work with these clients is really great and not one I'd pass up. Would I talk to the CEO? Sure, but I'm close to accepting. I talked to the CEO - how close are you? We'd love to have you, is there any way you'd change your mind?

It comes down to a few small points, I tell him. The benefits are better at the other agency. The client list is impressive. What agency? I tell him. What clients? Procter and Gamble, IHOP, Verizon Wireless. Oh. He gives me a standing job offer.

I wish I'd found out how much they were going to offer, so I could go back to the agency where I plan to work and counter offer. But I didn't, I just politely declined, thanked them for their time and hung up. And now I wonder: Should I have just accepted the Cleveland job? Should I have heard what they have to offer and then gone from there? Am I making a mistake?

*** Okay, well I did it. I committed to the Cincinnati job. I talked the guy up and scored a relocation bonus, so if you count the relocation bonus, I'm actually making $1,000 more than what I would have settled for. Which might not seem like much in the long run, but for a first-time negotiator, it felt pretty good. I never did hear from the #1 agency where I wanted to work, but if they came in with an 11th-hour offer, I wouldn't necessarily walk away from this agency. I'm excited about my (new) job - something I haven't felt in a long time! Now if I could just stop worrying about how my whole salary will pan out once the government takes 30% of what I make, I'll be okay. :) ***

7 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you had them by the cajones, I would have talked money a little bit to see whewre you were at.

    But hey, it sounds like you got something that you really wanted, so no regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. forget the regret. it's pointless and it sounds like you're in a good place.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you think you can still learn more from company #2 and you might still go with them, then think this through carefully.

    If you're now committed to the first offer and not looking back - then don't beat yourself up on this Lauren. Just think of it as "what did I learn this time?".

    YOu're obviously worth competing over! That's the real story here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with DawnMarie. Regret is no good.

    But...if it's killing you, you can always call back Cleveland and find out what they were going to offer. Sometimes the not knowing part is enough to drive one crazy.

    A similar situation happened to me last week. I got offered one position early last week (which I accepted), and then received a second offer from another firm later in the week. When I received the second offer, I told them about the first offer and they countered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow - never been in that situation.. But I bet it feels good to be wanted,huh? I'd proably call back to #2 and ask what they'd offer you if it bothers you so much.
    Personally I'd just jump for joy over the new job in Cincinnati! You already have considered it a good deal, why would that change??

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, what I told them (and what I truly believe) is that I'm comfortable with the decision that I made. If they had offered me $100,000 that would have been one thing; but I feel like I made the decision already and no matter what Cleveland said, I'd still want to take the Cincy position. And it wouldn't have been fair to ask what Cleveland's offer would have been knowing that I wouldn't take it. So I guess all in all, I'm not going to regret it.

    Nova - CONGRATULATIONS on getting a job finally! I know you were getting a little down. I'm glad your persistance paid off!

    ReplyDelete