Pages

4.07.2006

Parental Control

I was watching a show on BET the other night called "My Two Cents". Music videos intersperse the discussion of everything from Hollywood to issues relating to gender, race and culture. The contributers are four African American 20-somethings, but they also include comments from people they've stopped on the street.

The four contributors were sitting around talking about Angelina Jolie and the fact that she has adopted baby Zahara from Africa. The question arose: "Do you have a problem with a white woman raising a Black baby?" One of the contributors said flat-out that she absolutely had a problem with it.

"A white person can't teach a Black child about their culture or their roots. The Black culture is very unique, and that can't be replicated in a white home."

Another contributor responded, "But don't you think that a white person might work twice as hard to learn about the Black culture and teach it to their adopted child?"

"I suppose that could be true," said the first contributor. "I just don't think it is right."

Now, I realize that I don't have a lot of room to comment on the Black culture vs. the white culture. Nor do I have a lot of room to judge the contributor's comments. But the way that she was so disdainful of the thought of white parents raising a black baby was surprising to me. A sort of reverse racism that I wasn't expecting.

I guess I think of it like this: If a family is willing to and capable of loving and raising a child - whether it is their natural child or an adopted child - shouldn't they be free to do so?! Does the color of the parent's skin matter?

There are a couple of different tangents that I started thinking about:

Cultural influences
What distinguishes the Black culture from the white culture? If a Black child is well-educated, well-spoken and achieves levels of greatness beyond athletics, they are considered "bougie". If a white child likes hip-hop, speaks ebonics and wears a do-rag, they are considered a "wigger". Both terms are equally insulting, because they suggest that a person's upbringing and interests must be dictated by the color of their skin.

But beyond the outward appearances, what influences do Black children get at home that white children don't get? Is there a deep understanding and appreciation for the struggles of their forefathers, for the unfettered beauty and cruelty of their African homeland? Are family roles and expectations different?

Criteria for parenthood
I firmly believe that is isn't the color of the parent or child's skin that makes them a family. It is the love that they share. For adoptive parents, they child you bring home with you is YOUR CHILD. You don't love it any less than you would a biological child. To me, it shouldn't matter if I am a white woman raising a black child.

Good parents can be measured by the following: Teaching your child to respect everyone, not just their elders; Teaching your child goodness, kindness, altruism, humanity, what it means to be a good person; Teaching your child to love, and how to love in a healthy way; Teaching your child to respect themselves; Teaching your child to embrace their intelect, to make their own way, to worry not about what other people think of them, but what they think of themselves.

So why would this Black contributor to "My Two Cents" care what color skin makes up the family unit. What are white parents missing out on? What can Black parents teach Black children than white parents can't?

I'm not sure, but I'd love for you all to weigh in.

12 comments:

  1. I wrote a post on this not too long after I started blog. I was worried about the same thing. The girls are multi-racial. I don't think it should matter but I've heard some of the same things you did.

    The girls know they are "mixed" and I try to teach them about the other side of their heritage.

    Would they be better off with someone from their mom's side? Maybe but it was me or the foster care system. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

    I think children should be in loving caring homes - period. I'd be interested in hearing the other side of the story though.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. That lady was wrong....This just remains me, on the anti-gay group, who reject two males/females adopting a child, who will not be adopted by them. How sh*tful!

    As some one who has multi-racial, multi cultural family, that doesn't surprise me much because I have seen it. Both family, and real life. Some states do better, if you go to some places in the southern part in the states, this is no no noooooo.

    If the parents are loving parent, that's all I care. Better for them to be adopted, rather being left in foster care system.

    Race will always play part in this nation, so telling them of their parent's heritage is best option. U don't want to keep them locked from one side of their family, U have to tell them who their mother, or father was.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice story about interracial adoption... a friend at work recently adopted a gorgeous little biracial girl. He was at church and there was a new member who was of undetermined race (but he wasn't white) and was very obviously uncomfortable. After the meeting they were in let out, Mark went and got his baby from the nursery. Then the new member walked by and saw the baby and his eyes lit up. It was as if he knew that Mark was "ok" in a church and town that's 95%+ white. Mark described it as if the guy thought he was safe and knew Mark would be open and friendly since he is obviously not racist.

    Sad to say, this town is pretty white and people are ignorant and say stupid things. It's not overtly racist, but people have their beliefs about "those" other people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work in an intensely diverse environment. I've been pondering a LOT on "white culture" and "black culture" and "hispanic culture"

    for instance, several of the black ladies that i work with speak english, in my opinion, incorrectly. their grammar is incorrect and they use the wrong words consistently.

    some argue that it's part of their "culture". I argue that it's education lacking in the predominately black and minority inner-cities.

    I've been taught for years that there is no difference between peole of different skin colors, particularly black/white. If so, why do different "cultures" emerge. And why can't a white person ahve the same culture as a black person.

    I'm just throwing ideas out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granny, I'm with you there. I think it's great that you are giving your girls both sides of their story. Plus, I admire that you've taken on raising children for a second time. You're a fine person.

    Dem, I feel the same way. I don't feel it should matter. Then again, I was brought up in an environment that is accepting of all people. So if I brought home a black baby, it would be no problem.

    Sam, this is your first time here, so welcome! I like your bird analogy. Unfortunately, many people don't see us as all part of the "culture of humanity," although I would argue that the culture of humanity is more important to learn about than the culture specific to one's race.

    Sayrah, thank you for the story. I live in a pretty white suburb of Dayton, and whenever a non-white is at church, it comes as a shock. Even to me, I have to admit. Though I'd never try to make them feel uncomfortable, non-whites do tend to stand out a little bit.

    Dawn, I think you raise some excellent points. Thanks for your insight. The educational system definitely perpetuates the problem. I hate improper grammar, no matter who says it. Bow Wow has a song now that drives me crazy: "Fresh as I'm is". ARGH! That is only part of the problem, however, because even if children are taught proper English at school, that doesn't mean that they'll use it at home unless they are also taught proper English at home. If you're Black, that goes back to being "bougie" and trying to act white, too white for your own good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with Rocket on this one. She is giving a better life to one child and who knows? That kid will be in a better position to give back to Africa maybe. The thing that makes me angry about this whole thing is that this lady is bad mouthing Angelina but has she adopted a child from Africa? Better making a comment like that, someone had better step up and take action themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I SOOOO agree with you, Lauren. it is racism no matter which way it is angled.

    I have never understood the notion that some parents are better than others. No matter if the parents are biological or foster or if they have adopted. As long as they love the child and raise the child to respect all, and teach them that all are equal no matter what, I really do not see the problem.

    I would love to adopt a child, and if I end up adopting I don't care where the child is born.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rocket - For the most part, I agree with you. But I think besides being in a loving home, it is just as important for an adopted child to have some sense of their culture, of where he/she came from.

    SunDevil - I agree. Has this person adopted a child at all?

    Nerdine - Totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wudup Lauren......

    Living many countries, have given me a sense of not caring about sh*ts like that lady, who have nothing but hateful, racist ideas...My ex, was mixed, so I know what some go through. I agree, if I was adopted, I would have wanted to hear both sides of my family....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure if her reaction was hateful, or just recognition of the fact that white and black families operate differently. My question is HOW they operate differently; and why, when a child is in need of a loving and stable family, should the color of that family's skin even matter?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It doesn't do to generalize. The girls' maternal grandmother is a retired teacher with a Master's degree. She's obsessive about housekeeping, behavior, etc. (Not a criticsm, she's a dear woman, just facts). Health problems kept her from raising the girls.

    And then there's paternal great-granny me. High school graduate, 60's laid back for the most part, and not afraid of an occasional dust bunny.

    We have one thing in common. We both love the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Granny, the love part of that equation is the most important part. I firmly believe that. That is why I was so mystified as to why this person didn't think a white person should adopt a baby.

    Plus, I don't see her out there doing it. It is easy to criticize something that you don't understand or have experience with yourself.

    ReplyDelete